School’s out and my daughter has wanted to come to work the last couple of days. Today, trying to not be come the procrastinator her mother is, she decided to get a head start on the Father’s Day gift to her father. She chose the mold she wanted to use to create the personal gift and below is her wonderful creation. She even came up with the packaging idea. Nice job Katlyn, he’ll love it !!
- Place the glass measuring cup onto the scale and zero out the weight. Cut the soap base into small chunks and place them into the measuring cup until you have the amount of soap that your mold will hold (a few tenths of an ounce under or over will not matter).
- Cover the measuring cup with plastic wrap and heat the soap in the microwave for 30 seconds on High. Remove the soap and stir. It will be a thin liquid with chunks in it. Heat the soap base again, checking it every 10 seconds. After several 10 sec. melting intervals, remove the soap and stir gently to completely melt any remaining pieces of soap. Be careful! Most soap bases will be about 150-160 degrees when completely melted. (You will do this 3 different times. One time for each color).
- She poured the golf ball section first, which did not require adding any colorant. Spritz with rubbing alcohol. Let that cool completely approximately 10-15 minutes, since it wasn’t much soap.
- Next she poured the tee section. This required adding some brown oxide to the melted white soap. Spritz with rubbing alcohol. Let cool completely approximately 10 minutes.
- Last was the green section. She added moss green oxide to the white soap. Spritz with rubbing alcohol. Let the soap cool to approximately 140 degrees F. If poured to hot, it will melt the white and brown sections. Once the green section has been poured, let it cool completely for at least 2 hours.
- When the soap is completely hardened, you should be able to pop the bars out of the mold. Some molds will release easily; some will be more difficult.
Tapping the mold firmly with the palm of your hand or a large spoon sometimes helps. For a really persistent bar, you can turn the mold over and run hot water over the back of it. The soap should fall easily out of the mold. You can rub off or trim any imperfections with a cloth or a small knife. Since the melt ‘n’ pour soap base is already cured, there’s no waiting. You can use it right away!
If it is not going to be used right away or given as a gift, it should be wrapped in plastic wrap so that it won’t lose its moisture.