How awesome is this? You can use your Aroma Beads to create a totally themed look for any occasion. With the use of any metal cookie cutter, the possibilities are endless. There is quite a market for this!
Nu-Scents Scent-a-Beads/ Aroma Beads
Liquid Candle Dyes-if you are choosing to add color
Gallon Ziploc Bags
Metal Cookie Cutters
Non-Stick Metal Cookie Sheet
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
Ribbon (if making hanging ornaments)
¼ inch diameter screws (if making hanging ornaments)
Before we get started, it is very important to state that anything that fragrance will be in or touch can NEVER be used again for food cooking purposes.
1. The first step is to combine your liquids in a gallon Ziploc bag. The amount of fragrance and color is dependent upon how many aroma beads you would like to use. For this set of instructions, we are using 1 cup of Aroma beads. Pour your fragrance oil into a ¼ measuring cup. Pour the fragrance oil into the Ziploc bag. Color to your liking, usually this is 1-4 drops of liquid candle dye. Use more drops of liquid dye for darker, deeper colors, and less liquid dye for pastel colors. Never use food coloring or soap dyes to color aroma beads. Seal the bag. Carefully shake the liquids.
Please note: Extreme caution should be used anytime that you are working with fragrance oil and liquid candle dye. If the fragrance oil is spilled onto surfaces that have been stained, painted, or plastic the fragrance will eat the finish. As well, the liquid candle dye will permanently stain surfaces. As an extra precaution, you can always line your working area with newspaper to help prevent any damages.
2. The next step is to pour the Aroma Beads into the Ziploc bag. Carefully open the Ziploc bag and pour the Aroma Beads into it.
Please note: Be careful when handling the aroma beads. Because they are made from plastic, if they spill, they will bounce everywhere.
3. Seal the Ziploc bag again. Gently shake the combination of beads, fragrance oil, and coloring. You will want to shake the bag until all of the liquid is evenly dispersed among all of the beads.
4. Now starts the waiting game. Depending on which fragrance oils that you use, the absorption time varies. In some cases, it may even take 5 days. In any case, you will want to give the Ziploc bag a shake every few hours. The best suggestion we could give is to set the Ziploc bag in the bathroom to absorb. Then, every time you use the bathroom, give the sealed Ziploc bag a vigorous shake. This will help distribute an even absorption of all of the liquid among the Aroma Beads. This is the process of transforming the blah beads to the dazzling Wow beads, aka Aroma Beads! The aroma beads have fully absorbed when all of the liquid is gone from the bottom of the Ziploc bag, and the beads themselves are dry to the touch.
5. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. While your oven is preheating, it is time to prepare your metal cookie sheet. Set your metal cookie sheet on a flat surface. Place the cookie cutters that you would like to use on the cookie sheet. Take the prepared aroma beads and carefully fill each cookie cutter approximately 1/4 inch. You will want to spread your prepared aroma beads evenly throughout the cookie cutter.
7. If you would like to have a hole in your ornaments (for hanging purposes) you will need to use screws. Place a ¼ inch diameter screw head-down in the spot where you want the hole to be located. Leave the screw in during the whole cooking process. Be sure not to make them too thick! A nice layer in the cutter works well.
8. Once the oven is heated to the correct temperature, carefully place the cookie sheet into the oven. The Aroma Bead should take anywhere between 4-5 minutes up to 45 minutes (or until the beads have melted together). You will want to keep a close eye on the ornaments in the oven. There will be some smoking. This is normal.
9. When the time is up and the beads are melted together, remove the cookie sheet from the oven. We know that you are excited, but Do Not forget to use oven mitts!
10. Allow the ornaments to cool.
11. Remove the cookie cutter and screw from the ornament.
12. Carefully peal the ornament off of the cookie sheet.
13. Place a ribbon through the hole and tie it. You are Done!!!
Please be advised: Use caution when hanging air fresheners for cars! Due to the extreme temperatures that cars can reach during the summer months. The beads may melt and fall apart at high temperatures. We personally have not had this happen to us, but use caution.
Note: The above picture is shown with scrap booking appliques attached.