Like other health and herbal minded folk, chances are that you are tired of using chemicals and deet to repel insects during the summertime. Making your own insect repellant is easy, and much more natural than the insect repellants commercially available. We have compiled the following recipes for you, the ingredients and oils used in the following recipes have been used for years as natural methods of repelling insects. Try these time tested ingredients to naturally repel mosquitos and insects this summer.
- 1/2 teaspoon citronella essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon eucalyptus essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lavender essential oil
- 4 ounces distilled witch hazel
- Fill spray bottle (I used 8 ounce) 1/2 full with distilled or boiled water
- Add witch hazel to fill almost to the top
- Add 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin if using
- Add 30-50 drops of essential oils to desired scent. The more oils you use, the stronger the spray will be. My personal favorite mix is: Rosemary, Clove, Cajeput, Lavender, Cinnamon and Eucalyptus… it works great and smells good too!